Spanish pork and chorizo stew
Skill level: Easy peasy
Get your tastebuds tingling with this smoky, spicy and completely delicious Spanish stew. With smoky chorizo, fluffy new potatoes, juicy green peppers and a generous handful of olives, this stew will conjure up Mediterranean memories in minutes and allow you to get your meat, potatoes and veg for the day, all in one fell swoop. At you need to do is chop everything up, toss it in a dish, leave it on the stove and forget about it whilst it bubbles away! This tiny amount of effort will create to a tasty, warming winter meal that the whole family will love.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 500g diced pork
- 1tsp chopped garlic
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 green peppers, roughly chopped
- 2 red peppers, roughly chopped
- 200g cooking chorizo, sliced
- 500g box of passata
- 2tbsp tomato puree
- 250ml veg stock
- 1 small glass white wine
- 1 bayleaf
- handful of black olives
- 400g new potatoes, halved
- Salt and black pepper, to season
For a thicker stew, coat the meat in a light dusting of plain flour before browning.
- In the biggest saucepan you own, heat the olive oil. Add the pork and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly until browned.
- Remove the pork, and then fry the chopped garlic and diced onions for two minutes in the same pan.
- Add the peppers and slices of chorizo, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour the passata, tomato puree, vegetable stock and white wine over the ingredients, add the bay leaf, and bring the mixture to a boil. Then reduce the heat, cover and leave to simmer on low for 1 hour, stirring after half an hour.
- After the full hour has passed, add the olives and new potatoes to the pan and cook for a further hour, until the meat is tender and the potatoes are soft. Check the stew halfway through cooking - if the liquid evaporates too quickly, you can add a little extra passata or vegetable stock to loosen the mixture.
- Once cooked, season the stew to taste and serve in bowls on a cold winter's night!