Cream cheese stuffed mushrooms
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Whether they’re baked, breaded, sautéed or fried, mushrooms and garlic are a match made in heaven, and the partnership doesn’t get much better than these cream cheese stuffed mushroom caps. Generously filled with creamy, cheesy filling, topped with crunchy breadcrumbs and baked to perfection, these tender caps are a real crowd pleaser - make them for your next party or family get together and they’ll disappear from the platter in seconds. This recipe is completely vegetarian, but trust us – you won’t miss the meat. They’re ideal for the buffet table and will be loved by veggies and meat eaters alike!
- 24 chestnut mushrooms, roughly equal in size
- 200g garlic and herb cream cheese
- 50g cheddar, grated
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Ground black pepper
- 100g dried breadcrumbs
Put this mixture in a larger, Portobello mushroom for a tasty vegetarian main dish.
- Pre-heat oven to 180⁰C/350⁰F/Fan 170⁰C/Gas Mark 5.
- Pluck the stems from the centre of the mushroom caps and discard.
- Put the cream cheese in a bowl and stir until smooth. Add the grated cheddar, cayenne pepper and black pepper and stir until the mixture is combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the cavity in the mushrooms, filling until level with the edges of the mushroom.
- Put the caps on a baking tray and sprinkle each one with breadcrumbs.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the mushrooms are thoroughly cooked.
- Serve whilst still hot (with a napkin or plate in case of cream cheese spillages!)