Skill level: Easy peasy
Ready made gnocchi is a great alternative to spaghetti and perfect for a midweek meal as it cooks in 3 mins! These fluffy little pasta dumplings are made potato dough and make a great base to any sauce. Simply drop them into boiling water and leave them to simmer for 3 mins. Once cooked they will rise to the top of the water ready to be scooped out and drained. They make a really comforting meal when topped with a speedy yet flavoursome meaty Bolognese sauce. A great twist on a family favourite the kids will love it.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 200ml beef stock
- 2x 400g fresh gnocchi
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
Once gnocchi is cooked it will float to the top of the water so keep an eye on it as it cooks very quickly!
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the the onion and carrot for 10 mins until soft. Add the garlic for the last 2 mins.
- Stir through the beef mince and cook for 10 mins stirring frequently until browned.
- Add the tomato puree and stir until combined then pour over the chopped tomatoes and beef stock. Leave to simmer for 20 mins until thick. Stir through 2tbsp basil.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and add the gnocchi. Simmer for 3 mins then strain and fold through the bolognese. Scatter with the remaining basil to serve.