Chorizo, chickpea and potato soup
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This quick and easy stewy soup is surprisingly filling, plus the low cost ingredients make it great value if you're feeding a crowd. Winter comfort food doesn't get much better than these combination of flavours; the deeply smoked paprika and fiery chilies in the Spanish pork chorizo give the soup a real kick, that's subtly offset by the creaminess of the chickpeas and potatoes (make this soup even spicier by adding a sprinkling of dried chilli flakes). If you've got time on your hands then use dried chickpeas and soak them in a bowl of cold water overnight.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g chorizo, cut into small chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 x 400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 500g potatoes, diced
- 750ml chicken stock
- Small bunch parsley, leaves only
For an authentic Spanish finish garnish the soup with chopped boiled eggs.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan then add the chorizo pieces and fry for 2 minutes. Next add the onion and garlic and allow to cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Lastly add the chickpeas, potatoes and chicken stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, checking that the potatoes are tender. Season to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve garnished with parsley.