British cookies and cream cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Biscuit lovers will go crazy for these cupcakes. If you can’t decide between making biscuits of cupcakes for the perfect party snack, then here’s the perfect answer! Traditional British chocolate biscuits add a creamy crunch to these cupcakes. Top them off with half a biscuit, so everyone knows exactly what’s in them. You could choose Bourbons, Chocolate Dodgers, or whatever your favourite choice from the biscuit tin is!
IngredientsFor the cupcakes:
- 8-10 chocolate cream biscuits such as Bourbons or Chocolate Dodgers
- 40g softened butter or margarine
- 120g caster sugar
- 120g self-raising flour
- 120ml milk
- 1 egg
For the buttercream:
- 4 – 5 chocolate cream biscuits such as Bourbons or Chocolate Dodgers
- 50g softened butter
- 150g icing sugar
- 3tsp milk
For a really creamy alternative, substitute the chocolate biscuits for Custard Creams.
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Fill a muffin tin with 6 to 8 cupcake cases.
- Place the chocolate cream biscuits into a food processor and blitz until they become fine crumbs.
- In a mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar.
- Sift the flour and add mix into the butter and sugar. Mix until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Beat in the egg.
- Add the milk and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate biscuit crumbs.
- Fill each cupcake case two thirds full.
- Bake for 15 to 20 mins or until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool fully.
- To make the buttercream, start by blitzing the chocolate biscuits to a fine crumb in the food processor.
- Beat the butter until smooth and gradually add the icing sugar.
- Add the milk if needed to loosen the mixture and fold through the biscuit crumbs.
- Smooth or pipe the buttercream over the cakes.