Chocolate crackle cookies
Prep time:(plus overnight chilling)
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Who said grown ups couldn’t enjoy cookies too? Rich in chocolate and spices, they are crunchy on the outside and have a tempting gooey and soft centre. The mixed spices add a real kick to this recipe, packed with dark chocolate and cocoa. Dark chocolate works best with the spices, but you could also add milk chocolate chunks for an extra chocolatey treat.
- 60g softened butter
- 175g light brown sugar
- ½tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 30g melted dark chocolate
- 40ml milk
- 175g plain flour
- 1tbsp cocoa
- 1tsp baking powder
- ½tsp mixed spice
- Icing sugar to coat cookies
These cookies will last up to 3 days in an airtight container.
- Line 3 baking sheets with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
- Cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and smooth.
- Beat in the egg.
- Stir in the melted chocolate and milk.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and mixed spice.
- Add to the wet ingredients and mix to a dough.
- Chill the dough for at least 3 hrs, preferably overnight.
- Roll the dough into 30 balls.
- Roll each ball in icing sugar and bake for 20 to 25 mins, or until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.