Fruit and oat muffins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Bored of your usual breakfast? These muffins are great as an alternative. They’re easy to make and are filled with dried fruit and oaty goodness. Perfect to make for a weekend treat when you have a bit more time than your weekday morning rush but you’ll only have to wait 30 mins to bite into this fruity apple breakfast option.
- 200g self-raising flour
- ½tsp baking powder
- 1tsp grated nutmeg
- 150g oat bran
- 100g light brown sugar
- 125g mixed dried fruit
- 250ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 150g unsweetened apple sauce
- 60gms melted butter
If you don’t have apple sauce, marmalade is a great alternative.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Line a muffin tray with 12 cases.
- In a bowl sift together the self-raising flour, baking powder and nutmeg. Mix through the oat bran, sugar and dried fruit.
- In a separate bowl mix the milk, eggs and apple sauce and stir until well combined. Mix through the melted butter.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until just combined.
- Divide between the 12 cases. Bake for 20 to 25 mins or until well risen and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.