Ham and mushroom muffins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
We all know ham and mushroom is a winning combination, and makes the perfect pizza topping or omelette filling, but have you ever tried ham and mushroom muffins? Savoury muffins are perfect little packages for lunch boxes and make an ideal alternative to sandwiches, and with this recipe, you only need 20 mins to prepare them before popping them in the oven. It’s a good way to sneak in some more vegetables for any fussy eaters too.
- 4tbsp vegetable oil
- 100gms mushrooms chopped finely
- 300gms self-raising flour
- 1tspn baking powder
- 100gms chopped ham
- 100gms grated cheddar cheese
- 200ml milk
- 2 eggs
Serve these with pickle and cream cheese for an added flavour dimension.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Line a muffin tray with 12 cases.
- In a large frying pan, sauté the mushrooms in 1 tbsp of oil until just soft. Drain on some kitchen towel and set to one side.
- In a bowl sift together the self-raising flour and baking powder.
- Mix through the mushrooms, ham and cheese.
- In a separate bowl mix the milk, eggs and remaining oil stir until well combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until just combined.
- Divide between the 12 cases.
- Bake for 15 to 20 mins or until well risen and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.