Skill level: Bit of effort
Shortcake, check. Caramel, check. Chocolate, check. This homemade recipe of the tasty chocolate bar has the perfect combination of ingredients if you’re after a tempting, gooey snack. This recipe needs to be made in stages, but gives a luxurious snack, which can be loved by all the family. Get the kids in the kitchen and get them to help you make the sweet layers. The whole family will definitely want a piece of this sugary snack - you could even serve with ice cream for an extra special dessert.
IngredientsFor the base:
- 125g softened butter
- 25g caster sugar
- 125g plain flour
- 60g corn flour
For the caramel:
- 50g butter
- 50g light muscavado sugar
- 1 x can condensed milk
For the topping:
- 300g milk chocolate
For an extra creamy flavour you can substitute the milk chocolate for white.
- Preheat oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Grease a 20cm square tin and line with baking parchment so it overhangs the top by 2cm.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift together the flour and cornflour and add to the butter and sugar and mix to a smooth dough. Press into the base of the tin and bake for 30 mins. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- To make the caramel, place all the ingredients into a saucepan and gently heat, stirring continuously until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and continue to stir for 5 mins until it has thickened. Pour over the base and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Break the chocolate into a bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Do not allow the base of the bowl to touch the water. Stir until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Pour the chocolate over the cooled caramel and chill for 30 mins. Remove from the tin using the paper and cut into finger slices.