Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
You canít beat a slice of buttered malt bread with your morning cuppa. This slightly sweet bread is made using golden syrup and has a subtle malty flavour. Itís quick and easy to make and is great served with either sweet or savoury toppings. You could also add a range of your favourite dried fruit, such as raisins to give it an extra gooey and fruity taste.
- 480g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tspn baking powder
- 4tbsp malt drink powder
- 275ml milk
- 2tbsp golden syrup
This bread is great served warm with chocolate spread.
- Preheat oven to 170įC/325įF/Gas Mark 3.
- Grease a 2lb loaf tin.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add the milk and Golden Syrup and mix until just combined.
- Roll into the loaf tin and bake for 1 hour 15 mins.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 mins, before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.