Sweet and salty spicy popcorn
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
As you will all know, the contrast between sugar and salt works excellently with popcorn, but the added spice in this recipe gives a plain batch an extra fiery kick. Popcorn is a surprisingly versatile food, working well with both sweet and savoury ingredients, and this recipe is very adaptable so feel free to play around with different flavour combinations. Great for parties or for just kicking back with a movie at home.
- 100g unsalted butter
- 150g popping corn
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 2tsp sea salt flakes
- 1tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2tsp chilli flakes
To make sure the sugar, salt, pepper and chilli sticks to each piece of corn, make sure you mix in the seasoning the second you take it off the stove to trap in all the flavour.
- Place a large pan (with a lid) on a high heat and add the butter. Once the butter has melted, pour in the corn kernels, stir to coat then pop the lid on before any popping begins.
- Meanwhile, mix together the sugar, salt, pepper and chilli in a small bowl.
- When the corn starts to pop, give the pan a little shake to move the kernels about. Then, once the popping has slowed down to around three seconds between each pop, remove from the heat.
- Throw in your seasoning, put the lid back on then give the pan a good shake to coat all the corn. Serve straight away