Avocado and bacon salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
Avocado and bacon go sensationally well together, as far as taste and texture go, and the great thing about this salad is that it is so healthy too. Avocados contain lots of essential nutrients – Vitamin B, Vitamin E, potassium, fibre and folic acid and also act as a 'nutrient booster' by helping your body to absorb other nutrients such as alpha- and beta-carotene and lutein in foods eaten at the same time. Plus it tastes delicious too!
- 4 rashers unsmoked rindless back bacon, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 75g to 100g prepared (ready washed) baby spinach leaves
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled, stoned and cut into chunks
- 1-2tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan to serve
To make this a more substantial meal, cut half a small focaccia loaf into cubes, toss in a little oil and pop in the oven for 20 mins at 190 °C/375 °F/Gas 5 or until the cubes are crisp and sprinkle on top of the salad.
- Cook the bacon in a small non-stick frying pan until crisp, stirring often, adding the garlic towards the end.
- Tip the spinach and avocado in a bowl and toss with the olive oil and lime juice.
- Arrange into two bowls before scattering with the hot garlic and bacon. Season with freshly ground black pepper and serve with grated Parmesan cheese.