Orange crumble bars
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These orange crumble bars are just the perfect mix of textures. With a fresh zesty flavour, they have a slightly gooey orange curd, and a crunchy crumble top. They’d go perfect with your afternoon cuppa or as a treat in the kids’ lunchboxes, or keep them refrigerated if you’ve got guests popping round or party food to prepare – they’d make a nice change from your usual tea dunking biscuits.
IngredientsFor the base and crumble:
- 160g plain flour
- 80g granulated sugar
- 100g softened butter
For the filling:
- 110g granulated sugar
- 1tbsp plain flour
- ½tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- Zest of 1 orange
- Juice of ½ orange
These bars are great served chilled straight from the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease a 20cm square tin.
- First make the base by placing all the ingredients in a bowl and mixing with an electric mixer until it becomes the consistency of thick crumbs.
- Take one half of the mixture and press it into the base of the tin. Put the rest to one side.
- Next make the filling by putting all the ingredients into a clean bowl and beating until fully incorporated.
- Pour the filling over the base and sprinkle over the remaining crumble.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is slightly spongy to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before cutting into square.