Raspberry and lemon cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Lemon adds a zesty flavour to this light sponge to make perfectly moist cupcakes. Hidden inside is a sweet, juicy raspberry, which compliments the creaminess of the frosting and packs a real fruity punch. They’re super simple to make and only take 15 minutes preparation before popping them in the oven, making it the perfect recipe if you need to make a batch of tempting cupcakes in next to no time. You could even have a go at switching the raspberries for strawberries for a fruity mix up. Try this recipe for your next gathering and you’ll find yourself inundated with compliments to the chef!
- 225g self-raising flour
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g softened butter or margarine
- 3 eggs
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 10 to 12 raspberries
For the frosting:
- 50g softened butter
- 1tbsp seedless raspberry jam
- 200g icing sugar
- 10 to 12 raspberries for decoration
You can mix the cake batter in a food processor if you don’t have an electric mixer.
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Line a muffin tin with 10 to 12 cupcake cases.
- Place all the ingredients except the raspberries in a bowl and mix with an electric beater.
- Fill each cupcake case until two thirds full.
- Push a raspberry into the middle of each cake, making sure the top of the raspberry is completely covered.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- When cool prepare the frosting by beating the jam and butter until smooth.
- Add the icing sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Pipe or spread over the cakes and top with a raspberry.