Red velvet brownies
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Love red velvet cupcakes? They’ve seemed to take over the cupcake and baking world recently, but these brownies are a twist on the popular American cupcakes and taste just as good. They’re made with melted butter and brown sugar to give a proper gooey texture. The red velvet colouring is given a great contrast with white chocolate chips sprinkles throughout the mix and will definitely wow guests with their striking colour.
- 130g melted butter or margarine
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 15g cocoa
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 3tsp red food colouring
- 200g plain flour
- 150g white chocolate chips
If you prefer your brownies slightly gooey, only bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease a 20cm square tin.
- In a bowl mix together the melted butter, sugar and cocoa.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix until its combined.
- Mix through the vanilla and food colouring.
- Add the flour and mix until just combined.
- Stir through half of the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mix into the tin and scatter with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until it is soft when pressed gently.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing from the tin.