Sweetcorn and bacon muffins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Sweet, savoury and salty, these muffins are a great picnic treat and prove that muffins don’t have to just be of the chocolate variety. These savoury delights would also be a great additions to lunchboxes that the kids will love, or a lunch with a difference for you served with salad. They’re made using cheddar cheese but you could switch for your favourite type if you’d like something a little stronger or milder.
- 3 rashers of bacon chopped
- 300g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 100g drained sweetcorn
- 100g grated cheddar cheese
- 200ml milk
- 4tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- 2 eggs
Serve these with cream cheese and have these as an alternative to bread.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Fan 180°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Line a muffin tray with 12 cases.
- In a large frying pan, fry the bacon and set to one side.
- In a bowl sift together the self-raising flour and baking powder.
- Mix through the bacon, sweetcorn and cheese.
- In a separate bowl mix the milk, eggs and oil stir until well combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until just combined.
- Divide between the 12 cases.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until well risen and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.