Tomato and pesto tart
Skill level: Easy peasy
This easy, open tart with tomato and pesto is great any time of the year. In the winter, rustle it up as a warming pie the whole family will love, and in the summer it would work great for a light picnic treat. The juicy cherry tomatoes and pesto go hand in hand and kids and adults alike will love the puff pastry base, making it a nice change from picnic sandwiches, with oregano adding an extra Italian touch.
- 1 sheet of ready made puff pastry
- ½ jar pesto
- 100g grated Parmesan
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2tsp dried oregano
For the individual touch why not make 6 individual square tarts.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Fan 180°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Roll out the pastry to 1cm thick. Cut into 2 strips and place on the baking sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, score a 2cm in from the edge of the pastry.
- Spread the pesto over the centre of the pastry.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Thinly slice the tomatoes and lay over the pesto and Parmesan.
- Brush the outside 2cms of the pastry with olive oil.
- Sprinkle each tart with oregano and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.