Sausage and warm white bean salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
After an easy sausage supper dish that can be put together in no time? This sausage and warm white bean salad is bursting with flavour and will go down a treat with the whole family. Use canned beans for extra convenience, and replace the sun-blush tomatoes with pieces of fresh if preferred. Cannellini beans work great with this recipe, which makes an exciting change from your usual sausage supper.
- 8 chunky pork and herb sausages
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 450g cooked white beans such as cannellini or butter beans
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 100g sun-blush tomatoes in oil, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 large handful of wild rocket
- Fresh Parmesan and lemon wedges to serve
For a spicier salad, add some chopped garlic and red chilli to the onion as it cooks.
- Preheat the grill to a medium/hot setting. Arrange the sausages on the grill rack and cook, turning, according to the packet instructions – approx. 20 mins. Drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat 1tbsp oil in a saucepan and gently cook the onion, stirring, occasionally for about 15 mins until tender. Mix in the beans and plenty of seasoning and heat through, stirring, for 3-4 mins.
- Just before serving, mix the remaining oil with the lemon juice and sugar. Remove the beans from the heat and stir in the tomatoes and rocket.
- Pile the beans onto warm serving plates and spoon over the oil and lemon dressing. Halve the sausages lengthways and place on top of the beans. Serve warm with shavings of Parmesan and lemon wedges.