Dairy-free sweetcorn chowder
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This is a tasty chowder recipe with a difference. Usually a chowder-style soup is made with milk or finished with cream, but this oneís dairy free. A thick and tasty sweetcorn and potato soup will brighten up any mealtime and has an special kick thanks to the spicy paprika which blends extra well with the stock flavours. Itís a quick and easy dinner dinner thatís bound to get a thumbs up all round.
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 200g potato, peeled and chopped
- 25g plain flour
- 900ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 x 340g cans sweetcorn, drained
- 1-2tsp hot smoked paprika + extra to dust
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4tbsp freshly chopped parsley
For a traditional chowder, replace the stock with whole milk or follow the recipe above and stir 4tbsp double cream into the soup after itís been blended.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion for 5 mins until softened but not browned. Add the potatoes and cook for a further 2 mins.
- Stir in the flour, then gradually add the stock, stirring constantly. Add the bay leaf, bring to the boil and simmer for 15mins until tender. Remove from the heat and stand for 10 mins then discard the bay leaf.
- Put the sweetcorn in a blender or food processor and add the potatoey stock. Blend for a few seconds to remove the lumps.
- Pour back into the saucepan and add smoked paprika to taste and more salt and pepper if necessary. Reheat the soup for 2-3 mins until piping hot.
- To serve, mix the chilli and parsley together. Ladle the soup into warm soup bowls and serve immediately sprinkled with the chilli mix and a grinding of black pepper.