Portobello mushrooms Margarita-style
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
After a delicious veggie dish? Mushroom fans will love these Portobello mushrooms Maragrita-style. These large meaty mushrooms have a good flavour and stand up well to filling and baking. Mixed with Mozzarella, they're a real creamy treat. The colourful, tomatoey filling can easily be added to if you want to make a more substantial dish.
- 4 large Portobello or field mushrooms
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 100g grated Mozzarella cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
This is a versatile recipe so you can change the filling to suit your taste. Try adding some cooked kidney beans and chilli powder, then replace the cheeses above with grated Cheddar cheese.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Fan 180°C/Gas Mark 6. Lightly grease a shallow baking dish. Peel the mushrooms if necessary, otherwise simply wipe them with kitchen paper. Carefully remove the stalks, then chop up the stalks finely and put in a bowl.
- Finely chop the tomatoes and add to the bowl along with the garlic, Mozzarella and plenty of seasoning. Mix well.
- Pile the tomato mixture on top of each mushroom and sprinkle with grated Parmesan. Drizzle with oil, cover with foil and bake for 15 mins, then remove the foil and continue to cook, uncovered, for a further 15 mins until tender.
- To serve, drain the mushrooms and serve immediately sprinkled black pepper and chopped parsley.