Veggie eggs Benedict
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Love eggs Benedict? This vegetarian version is sure to please. This recipe serves easy poached eggs with beefsteak tomatoes and a generous helping of spinach leaves to add towards your 5-a-day count. This recipe serves 4 people and will take around 30 mins to prepare and cook. The dish is traditionally served at breakfast time, but this version of poached eggs, butter sauce and a toasted muffin make a delicious light lunch or supper dish too. For a cheat’s version, use a ready made Hollandaise sauce or mayonnaise. Add Paprika to dust on top for an extra spicy topping.
- 2 large egg yolks,
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 115g unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 toasting muffins, split
- 1 beefsteak tomato, thickly sliced
- A handful of baby spinach leaves
- Paprika to dust
For a more traditional breakfast dish, omit the spinach and replace with some fried mushrooms.
- Put the egg yolks and lemon juice in a heatproof bowl and whisk for about 1 min until paler and creamy. Put the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water and heat through, stirring, for about 2 min.
- Add the butter, a little at a time, whisking all the time until each piece has melted and is thoroughly blended into the egg. Once all the butter has been added you should end up with a thick, creamy and smooth Hollandaise sauce – this will take about 10 mins. Remove from the water, season with salt and cover with foil.
- Bring a deep frying pan of water to the boil and reduce to a gentle simmer. Crack an egg on to a plate and carefully slide into the water. Repeat with the other eggs. Cook gently for about 5 mins depending on how you like your eggs cooked. Meanwhile, toast the muffins.
- To serve, arrange toasted muffins on warm serving plates and spread a little sauce on top. Top each with a slice of tomato and a few spinach leaves. Drain the eggs using a slotted spoon and place one on top of each portion. Season lightly with paprika and serve immediately with extra sauce.