Grilled vegetable and halloumi salad
Total time:Plus 20 mins marinating
Skill level: Easy peasy
This warm grilled vegetable and halloumi salad can be cooked outside on the barbecue in the summer or indoors on a griddle pan when the weather is not so good. Halloumi is the perfect cheese for grilling because it has a high melting point so retains itís shape when cooked. It has a slightly rubbery texture and salty flavour and is delicious when grilled or fried as it gets a golden crust on the outside. If youíre on a gluten-free diet this salad can be served as an alternative to a pastry-based quiche and is very good served with new potatoes or potato rosti cakes.
- 2 courgettes, halved or quartered lengthways and thickly sliced
- 250g asparagus spears, trimmed and halved lengthways if thick
- 8 medium-sized flat mushrooms, wiped and trimmed
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 250g halloumi cheese, cut into 8 slices
- 3tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 9tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
Aurbergines, peppers, fennel, butternut squash and carrots are all delicious cooked in this way and really brings out their sweetness.
- Place the courgettes, asparagus, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes in a shallow non-metallic dish. Mix together the marinade ingredients in a small bowl, season with salt and freshly ground pepper and pour over the vegetables. Mix to coat in the marinade then cover and leave to marinate for 30 mins.
- Remove the vegetables from the marinade and reserve the marinade. If cooking on a barbecue, thread the courgette pieces and tomatoes onto skewers before cooking. Cook all the vegetables on a hot barbecue or in a preheated griddle pan, in batches, for 3-4 mins turning occasionally, until lightly charred and just tender. Cook the halloumi slices for 1 min each side until golden.
- Place the halloumi slices on top of the vegetables and pour the reserved marinade over the top. Serve warm.