Lower-fat fruit trifle
Total time:plus setting time
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Our lower-fat fruit trifle has 75% less fat than your average trifle recipe. Making the trifle in individual glasses makes sure you can control the portions everyone has including yourself. So if youíre watching your figure this month, you can treat yourself to this recipe without any guilt. Mixed fruit and strawberry jelly add a delicious fruity taste to this dessert, topped with aerosol cream which is much lighter and fluffier than normal cream. At only 383 calories per serving and 25 mins preparation, this dish is sure to become a favourite in your household especially as itís naughty and nice all in one.
- 2tbsps custard powder
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 500ml semi-skimmed milk
- 135g strawberry jelly tablet
- 250g frozen red fruits
- 16 sponge fingers
- Aerosol cream in a can
When using squirty cream from a can, only pipe it on top of the dessert just before serving.
- Make the custard: Mix the custard powder, sugar and a third of the milk in a large jug, then add the rest of the milk.
- Microwave on high powder for about 8 mins, whisking every minute,to make a smooth custard. Pour into a bowl, cover with cling film and leave to cool.
- Put the jelly in a jug with 100ml water. Microwave for a minute, and whisk until it dissolves. Add another 100ml cold water and the frozen fruits. Set aside
- Break the sponge fingers into halves. Arrange in 4 dessert glasses. Spoon the setting jelly on top. Leave to firm, then spoon custard over and chill. Serve with a squirt of cream on top.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 383(kcal)
- Fat 7.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.