Tomato and chilli soup
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Tomato and chilli soup is the perfect comfort food for those evenings when itís raining outside and the nights are drawing in. This comforting homemade tomato soup served piping hot can be just what the doctor ordered. There are few moments that can beat that first dunk of a warm crusty (always buttered) baguette or the first slurp of tomato and chilli soup. If you have a glut of ripened tomatoes, then of course use those, but tinned tomatoes act as a great and cheaper substitute all year around. For a creamier soup, add 200ml of single cream at the very end. The chilli in this recipe gives an already hearty dish a spicy kick that brings your soup to life.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 litre vegetable stock
If you have a jar of sun-dried tomatoes in the cupboard, add a few to the soup at the very beginning for a richer tomato flavour.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, celery, chili and garlic. Cook over medium heat until softened. Add the tomatoes, water and stock. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Liquidize the soup in a blender or use a hand blender. Serve