Poached egg and bacon
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Poached eggs are healthier than fried eggs (because poaching in water is a healthier way of cooking than frying in oil) and by cooking the bacon in its own fat in a non-stick pan you can make this a healthy and nutritious, as well as substantial, way to start the day. It also makes a quick and easy supper to enjoy sitting on the sofa in front of the telly.
- 4 rindless rashers of back bacon
- 4 medium eggs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 muffins, split in half
- knob of butter (optional)
- 2tbsp snipped chives
If you donít have muffins, make potato cakes from leftover mash (youíll need about 300g to make two potato cakes). Cook in a hot oven until piping hot before topping with bacon and eggs.
- Heat a non-sick frying pan, add the bacon and cook until crispy, turning. Meanwhile, bring a frying pan of salted water to a simmer, carefully crack in the eggs and poach according to taste.
- Toast the muffins and keep warm. Butter the muffins, if you wish, pop a rasher of bacon on each, place an egg on top. Scatter with chives, season and serve.