Garlicky chestnut mushrooms on toast
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Chestnut mushrooms are good for you. They are packed with Vitamin B (which acts against stress and fatigue), Vitamin D (which helps keep your hair, skin and nails strong and healthy) and minerals such as potassium, selenium, and copper. They taste good, too! Especially when cooked with a little garlic and popped on a piece of buttered toast...
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 300g chestnut mushrooms, wiped, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2-3tbsp roughly chopped flatleaf parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pieces of thickly sliced bread, toasted
- a knob of butter
If you don’t want to use butter, spread a little pesto on the toast instead.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the mushrooms until they start to turn golden (this takes about 5 mins). Add the garlic and cook for another minute or so. Add the chopped parsley, mix gently and season with salt and pepper.
- Pop the hot toast on a warm plate, spread with butter if you want, and spoon over the hot mushroom mix.