Caramelised red onion and chicken liver pâté
Skill level: Easy peasy
The caramelised red onions give this lovely chicken liver pâté a delicious touch of sweetness. Rich and creamy, this pâté is extremely moreish and is great enjoyed on wholemeal toast or crunchy bread with salad. Perfect as a special dinner party starter, it is full of flavour. Alternatively, make a little extra and put some in the freezer for a wonderful treat any time. Packed with port, garlic, lemon thyme and a kick of Worcestershire sauce, you’ll find it hard to resist.
- 150g butter
- 2 medium-sized red onions, finely chopped
- 2tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 125ml water
- 500g chicken livers
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1tbsp chopped fresh lemon thyme
- 5 slices of white bread, blended into breadcrumbs
- 1tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 300ml double cream
- 1tbsp port
- A little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- A bay leaf to garnish
If you don’t have any port, try brandy for a wonderfully boozy alternative. If preferred, you can sprinkle the onions on top of the pâté, instead of stirring them in, before pouring on the butter.
- Fry the onions in 50g butter until they begin to brown. Add the soft brown sugar and water and stir together until the sugar dissolves. Turn the heat down and cook, stirring occasionally, for a further few minutes, until the mixture is thick and sticky. Set aside.
- Melt 50g butter in a saucepan and add the chicken livers and garlic. Cook until the chicken livers are browned and thoroughly cooked.
- Add the lemon thyme, breadcrumbs, double cream, Worcestershire sauce, port, cream and salt and pepper to the chicken livers and blend the mixture thoroughly, until smooth.
- Stir the onions into the pâté, and spoon the mixture into a serving dish.
- Melt the remaining butter and pour over the pâté. Garnish with a bay leaf.