Stilton and cranberry muffins
Skill level: Easy peasy
This yummy combination of sweet and savoury goes down a real treat. These moreish muffins couldn’t be simpler to make – just combine the ingredients, pop them in the oven for 30 minutes and, if you use muffin cases, there’s minimal washing up. Delicious eaten hot, straight from the oven, or kept as a cold snack, they’ll be a firm favourite. The perfect accompaniment to onion soup, they’re quick, easy and delicious – who could ask for more?
- 300g self-raising flour
- 1tsp mustard powder
- 80g butter
- 185g Stilton, crumbled into small pieces
- 100g chopped dried cranberries
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 250ml milk
- A sprinkling of finely chopped walnuts
To make this recipe even simpler, if that could be possible, use white stilton and cranberry cheese (instead of the separate cheese and dried fruit). The flavour will be subtler but extremely delicious all the same.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
- Grease a 12-hole muffin tin, or use muffin cases placed in the holes.
- Put the flour and mustard powder in a large bowl and rub in the butter.
- Add the Stilton and dried cranberries, then mix in the beaten egg and milk.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin or cases and sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top.
- Place the muffins in the oven for 20 mins, or until they are firm to the touch.