Pine nut and puy lentil filled mushrooms
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These versatile filled mushrooms make a satisfying vegetarian starter, or can be served as a vegetable side dish with a main course. This combination of delicious Portobello mushrooms, pine nuts, puy lentils, thyme, garlic and lemon juice, all topped off with gooey cheese, is irresistible. Packed with nutrients, this is a vegetarian dish which all can enjoy. For minimum effort, you can get your fix of fibre, B vitamins and vitamin E with this wonderful vegetarian treat. Alternatively, for a more meaty alternative, mix ham or cooked bacon lardons in with the mixture before topping with cheese.
- 100g pine nuts
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1tbsp chopped thyme
- 250g cooked puy lentils
- Juice on ½ a lemon
- A drizzle of olive oil
- 8 large Portobello mushrooms
- 250g grated cheddar cheese
- A sprinkling of cayenne pepper
To save time, buy cooked puy lentils, available in sachets or tins, and ready-grated cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Put the pine nuts, garlic, thyme, puy lentils and lemon juice in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Drizzle the olive oil over a baking tray and place the mushrooms, stalk upwards, on the tray.
- Pile the pine nut and lentil mixture on top of each mushroom.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese and cayenne pepper on top.
- Place in the oven for 10 mins, until the cheese is melted and golden, then enjoy!