Spiced blueberry pavlova
Skill level: Easy peasy
This scrumptious blueberry-topped desert is wonderfully indulgent. With just a hint of cinnamon, this spicy twist to the much-loved pavlova is sure to please. Lashings of oozing soft cream on a marshmallow-centred, crunchy crusted meringue, all topped off with cinnamon-flavoured blueberry preserve and fresh berries. What could be more perfect – the stuff of dreams all on one plate. Whether you serve it as a centre-piece at a special celebration, or just enjoy it with a cuppa as a treat, this is a special desert that’s hard to beat.
- 4 egg whites
- 225g caster sugar
- 1tsp cornflour
- 1tsp white wine vinegar
- 300ml double cream
- 200g fresh blueberries
- 2tbsp blueberry preserve
- Juice of a lime
- ½tsp cinnamon
If you don’t have blueberry preserve, use blackcurrant jam instead for an equally delicious flavour.
- To make your pavolva, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease a baking tray and line with baking parchment.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Add the sugar a little at a time, whisking between each addition. When all the sugar has been added, whisk until the meringue is glossy and stands in peaks, then whisk in the vinegar and cornflour.
- Spoon the mixture on to the baking tray and form into a circle about 20cm in diameter, using a palette knife to spread and smooth the mixture.
- Place the meringue in the oven. Turn down the temperature to 120°C/250°F/Gas Mark ½ and cook for 1½ hrs. When cooked, turn the heat off and leave the meringue in the oven to cool.
- Whisk the cream until it forms soft peaks and then spoon on top of the pavlova and top with the fresh blueberries.
- Put the blueberry preserve, lime juice and cinnamon in a saucepan and melt together. Pour the spiced sauce over the pavlova, or serve with it, as preferred.