Smoked chicken and mushroom filled pancakes
Skill level: Bit of effort
These tasty, savoury pancakes make a satisfying choice. With garlic, Dijon mustard and a hint of lemon thyme, they’re packed full of flavour. Quick to prepare, they’re a great lunchtime or evening meal option. Smoked chicken, now widely available, and mushrooms make a winning combination, sure to go down a treat. Once the pancakes are prepared, just top with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese and pop them under the grill for a few minutes until they are bubbling and golden – perfect!
IngredientsFor the pancakes:
- 110g plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 300ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 2tbsp olive oil
For the filling:
- 40g butter
- 110g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 1tbsp chopped lemon thyme
- 50g plain flour
- 300ml milk
- 225g chopped smoked chicken
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and a twist of freshly ground black pepper
- A sprinkling of grated cheddar cheese
For a little extra crunch, sprinkle chopped walnuts over the pancakes with the cheese before heating them in the oven.
- Beat together the flour, salt, milk and eggs, to make a smooth batter.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry a little of the batter at a time, to make four pancakes.
- Fry the mushrooms in the butter until soft, then add the garlic and lemon thyme and stir in the flour.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring continuously until the sauce thickens.
- Mix in the smoked chicken and Dijon mustard, then season with salt and black pepper.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Divide the sauce between the pancakes, placing a little in the centre of each and folding the edges over the mixture to form a roll.
- Put the pancakes, folded side down, in a heatproof dish and sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Place the dish under the grill, or in a warm oven, for approximately 10 mins, until the cheese topping is bubbling hot. Serve immediately.