Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Cabbages come in a variety of colours and shapes. With so many vitamins, high in iron and potassium and low in calories they make the ideal ingredient as part of a healthy meal. A member of the brassica family, the white cabbage matches perfectly with the smoky bacon, creamy cheese and fragrant chives in this recipe and makes the humble cabbage the star of the dinner table.
- 1 white cabbage
- 100g diced bacon or pancetta pieces
- 1 300g tub of cottage cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Small bunch of fresh chives, finely chopped
When preparing cabbages, peel away the outer leaves, quarter and cut the core away.
- Slice the cabbage into long thin strips and then dice into small pieces. Plunge into boiling water and cook for 3-4mins or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Fry the bacon pieces for 1-2mins in a hot frying pan before adding the cabbage. Now add the cottage cheese and chives and stir to combine thoroughly. Tip into an ovenproof dish and bake in the oven 200°C/400°F/Fan 180°C/Gas Mark 6 for 15mins. Serve immediately.