Rice and chorizo stew
Skill level: Easy peasy
Chorizo sausages are full of flavour and make this simple rice and chorizo stew extra tasty. If possible buy cooking chorizo sausages that are uncooked, but cured chorizo is fine if you can't find them. This is a great mid-week meal and any leftovers are great to take to work as a packed lunch as it also taste great cold, maybe with a few strips of roasted red peppers from a jar stirred through. Paprika is made from ground red peppers, some varieties are sweet, others are hot and spicy so check the label. Smoked paprika gives a lovely warmth to this dish.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 200g chorizo sausages, diced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 100ml dry white wine
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 240g long grain rice
- 1/2tsp smoked paprika
- 3 carrots, coarsely grated
- 2tbsp mixed chopped fresh parsley and rosemary
Donít waste any leftover fresh herbs, chop and freeze in a plastic bag to add to stuffings and stews or to sprinkle over fish.
- Heat the oil in a large deep non-stick frying pan, add the chorizo and cook, stirring, for 2 mins until the oil is released. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for about 3 mins until the onion is tender.
- Stir in the wine and stock and bring to the boil. Stir in the rice and paprika. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 mins untilthe rice is almost cooked. Season to taste then stir in the carrot and cook for 5 mins. Sprinkle with parsley and rosemary and serve hot.