Chocolate chip cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This chocolate chip cake is quite dense, but has a wonderfully moist sponge. It’s so simple to make that even the kids could help you bake it. Packed with gooey chocolate chips throughout, this cake can be adapted into a birthday cake or even cupcakes. The chocolate chips add interest with every bite and the sweet, rich chocolate frosting tops it off perfectly. Decorate with Maltesers, crushed Kit-Kat or Twirl for a naughty but nice finish. You could even serve with a dash of cream or ice cream as a sweet dessert which the whole family can enjoy.
IngredientsFor the sponge:
- 200g softened butter or margarine
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 320g self-raising flour
- 150g chocolate chips
For the frosting:
- 80g butter
- 80g chocolate
- 200g icing sugar
This cake is best eaten on the day of baking, but will keep in an airtight container for a couple of days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease a 22cm round tin and line with baking parchment
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Add one egg at a time and beat thoroughly between addition. Add the flour and mix until just combined.
- Stir through the chocolate chips and pour into the prepared tin
- Bake for 30 mins. Cover loosely with foil and bake for a further 20 - 30 mins, or until a cocktail stick inserted in the centre comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.
- Whilst the cake is cooling you can prepare the frosting. In a saucepan melt the butter. Add the chocolate and stir continuously until fully melted.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the icing sugar and spread over the cake.