Coconut pound cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
The coconut in this cake not only adds a tropical flavour, but gives the sponge a delicious bite. This simple recipe can be made time and time again and will always produce a tasty and perfect loaf. Topped with a light icing sugar and coconut milk icing, this sweet cake is well worth the wait. Make sure you line your loaf tin with baking parchment so the cake doesn’t stick to the tin and can be released easily enough after baking.
IngredientsFor the sponge:
- 220g softened butter or margarine
- 350g caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 150g desiccated coconut
- 300g plain flour
- 1½tsp baking powder
- ½tsp salt
For the glaze:
- 30ml coconut milk
- 100g icing sugar
This recipe will also makes 2 x 1lb loaf cakes, and can be frozen really well, which means one for now and one for later.
- Preheat oven to 325°F/170°C/Fan 150°C/Gas Mark 3. Grease a 22cm cake tins, and line with parchment
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time, beating between each addition. Stir through the desiccated coconut.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and add to the mix
- Stir until just combined and pour into the cake tin
- Bake for 50 to 60 mins, or until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully
- To make the glaze mix the coconut milk and icing sugar and drizzle over the cooled cake.