Chocolate chip cookie cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Is this a cake or is this a cookie? Its both! It has the cookie taste of brown sugar and chocolate chips, and is made with self-raising flour so it rises just like a cake. It only takes 20 mins to make, so you won’t have to wait for very long. Try experimenting using other chocolate chips instead such as white chocolate and dark chocolate. The cream of tartar makes this cake extra moist and tasty. If you’re making this cake for a special occasion why not top with chocolate spread or melted chocolate and finish with sprinkles.
- 110g softened butter or margarine
- 180g granulated sugar
- 60g light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 180g self-raising flour
- ½tsp salt
- ½tsp cream of tartar
- 100g chocolate chips
For those who aren’t keen on sponge cake, this is a great birthday cake. You can decorate with frosting just like a normal birthday cake.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease a 22cm round spring-form tin and line with baking parchment
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and mix in.
- Sift together the flour, salt and cream of tartar and add to the butter mixture.
- Add the chocolate chips. Stir it all together until you have a thick though.
- Press into the base of the baking tin
- Bake for 20-22 mins or until the edges are lightly browned
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.