Chocolate lime cupcakes
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Chocolate lime cupcakes are deliciously rich with a hidden lime surprise inside. The moist chocolate sponge and the tangy lime curd work really well together twisting a classic chocolate cupcake recipe. Topped with homemade chocolate buttercream, these chocolate lime cupcakes would be perfect as an afternoon treat for the kids. This recipe only takes 20 mins to cook. If you haven’t got enough time to make the buttercream, top with chocolate spread or melted chocolate instead.
IngredientsFor the sponge:
- 40g butter
- 120g caster sugar
- 100g self-raising flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- 120ml milk
- 1 egg
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 50g lime curd
For the buttercream:
- 50g softened butter
- 130g icing sugar
- 20g cocoa powder
- 3tsp milk
For a lime flavoured buttercream, beat lime curd through the butter and leave out the cocoa.
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Line a muffin tray with 6 to 8 cupcake cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar. Sift the flour and cocoa together and mix with the butter and sugar until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Beat together the egg and milk. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the lime juice and zest. Fill the cupcake cases to two thirds full.
- Bake for 15 to 20 mins, or until a cocktail stick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- When baked, remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- When fully cooled hollow out and inch of cake from each cupcake with either an apple corer, or using a sharp knife, retaining the cutout piece of sponge.
- Fill each cupcake with lime curd and place the cutout piece of sponge on top.
- To make the buttercream, beat the butter until smooth and gradually add the icing sugar and cocoa.
- Add the milk if needed to loosen the mixture and fold through the biscuit crumbs. Smooth or pipe the buttercream over the cakes.