Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This spotty cake is made by adding a handful of brightly coloured sprinkles to a light moist sponge cake. The kids will just love this simple cake recipe that only takes 45 mins. It’s a cheap cake to make too, so if you’re on budget for birthdays this year, this would make the perfect birthday cake alternative. Decorate with pink icing and colourful sprinkles too, you could even use jellied sweets and chocolates.
IngredientsFor the sponge:
- 225g softened butter or margarine
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2tbsp sweet confetti or large sprinkles
For the buttercream frosting:
- 50g softened butter
- 200g icing sugar
- 2tbsp milk
- Sprinkles for decoration
This cake is fun for a kids birthday cake. It looks perfectly normal until you cut into it and see the spotty inside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Fan 160°C/gas Mark 4. Grease 2 x 20cm sandwich tins and line with baking parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar
- Add on egg and mix. Add one quarter of the flour and mix. Repeat until all the eggs and flour has been used.
- Fold through the confetti or sprinkles and divide the mix between the 2 cake tins.
- Bake for 25 to 30 mins, or until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre of the cakes come out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully. Once cool prepare the buttercream frosting by beating the butter until smooth.
- Add the icing sugar a bit at a time, using the milk to loosen the mixture. Beat for at least 5 mins.
- Place one sponge onto your serving plate and spread over half of the buttercream. Place the second cake on top and spread the remaining buttercream over the top. Use sprinkles or sweet confetti to decorate.