Cranberry and white chocolate cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
This recipe has contrasting flavours of sharp cranberries and rich white chocolate, and itís perfect for special occasions especially birthdays or Motherís Day. The juicy cranberries seep into the sponge making it extra moist and full of flavour. Serve with a dash of cream or ice cream and enjoy. If you fancy experimenting why not try using milk chocolate or dark chocolate instead.
IngredientsFor the sponge:
- 200g softened butter or margarine
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 240g self-raising flour
- 100g dried cranberries
- 100g white chocolate chips
For the frosting:
- 80g butter
- 80g white chocolate
- 200g icing sugar
This recipe will also make 2 x 10cm cakes, and freezes really well before frosting.
- Preheat oven to 350įF/180įC/Fan 160įC/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 22cm round tin and line with baking parchment.
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Add one egg at a time and beat thoroughly between addition. Add the flour and mix until just combined.
- Stir through the dried cranberries and white chocolate chips and pour into the prepared tin
- Bake for 30 mins. Cover loosely with foil and bake for a further 20 to 30 mins, or until a cocktail stick inserted in the centre comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully
- Whilst the cake is cooling you can prepare the frosting. In a saucepan melt the butter. Add the chocolate and stir continuously until fully melted.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the icing sugar. Spread over the cake.