Chocolate cream cheese butter bars
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This unusual recipe brings together a buttery base that’s sprinkles with chocolate and is then topped with a cream cheese baked custard – it’s delicious. Have as a sweet afternoon treat with a warm cuppa or a tasty dessert with lashing of whipped cream. These moreish bars only take 30 mins to cook and 15 mins to prepare meaning they’re ready to be enjoyed in no time!
IngredientsFor the base:
- 80g granulated sugar
- 100g softened butter
- 160g flour
Fot the topping:
- 100g chocolate chips
- 100g cream cheese
- 100g softened butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- 200g icing sugar
This recipe tastes great with chocolate cream cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 20cm Square tin.
- Make the base by creaming together the butter and sugar. Mix in the flour to form a thick dough.
- Press into the base of the tray. Scatter the base with the chocolate chips.
- Make the topping by beating together the cream cheese and butter to a smooth consistency. Mix in the egg. Add the icing sugar and whisk until smooth and fully combined. Pour over the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 25 to 30 mins, or until the top has a crunchy crust. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before cutting into squares.