Lemon curd cake
Skill level: Bit of effort
This lemon curd cake recipe with lemon curd buttercream is light, sweet and citrusy and only takes 35 mins to bake. With a sweet syrup glaze and a creamy lemon buttercream topping, this cake is delicious. The buttercream frosting combines butter, icing sugar and lemon curd for a light and fluffy coating. The sponge is soft and moist, even more so with the syrup and is full of grated lemon zest which gives it a natural lemon flavour throughout. Decorate with drizzles of lemon curd and it’s ready to be enjoyed.
IngredientsFor the cake:
- 250g butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar
- 250g self-raising flour
- 4 medium eggs
- 2tbsps milk
- Finely zested rind of 2 lemons
- 4 level tbsps caster sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 level tbsps lemon curd
- 125g unsalted butter
- 250g icing sugar
- 4 level tbsps lemon curd
- 3-4tbsps lemon curd
- 2 x 18cm (7in) round sandwich tins, buttered and base lined
- Small disposable piping bag
This seems like a lot of syrup, but it makes the cake deliciously moist. If possible, use solid-based tins, so that no syrup leaks out.
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- To make the cake: Beat the butter, add to the remaining ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Divide the mix between the 2 tins and level the surface. Bake in the centre of the oven for 30-35 minutes, until they’re just firm to the touch in the centre then remove them from the oven.
- To make the syrup: Pour 4tbsps water into a small pan and add the caster sugar. Place on a low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to the boil. Allow it to boil rapidly for 1 minute, then remove the pan from the heat and add the lemon juice.
- Remove cakes from the oven and immediately pour over the syrup, half over each cake. Leave in the tins for about 10 minutes, until all the syrup has soaked in, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sandwich the 2 cakes together with the lemon-curd filling.
- To make the frosting: Beat the butter until very soft, then add remaining ingredients and beat until the mixture is smooth and fluffy. Spread the frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
- To decorate, spoon lemon curd into the piping bag, cut off the end to create a small hole and drizzle in a zigzag over the top of the cake.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 544(kcal)
- Fat 29.0g
- Saturates 17.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.