Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Our classic apple cake recipe is ideal for sharing and perfect as an afternoon treat. It combines tangy and sweet cooking apples with a light cinnamon infused and raisin packed sponge. This cake can serve up to 12 people and takes 50 mins to cook in a medium heat oven. If the sponge starts to brown too quickly on top cover with baking parchment and continue to cook until done. Dust with icing sugar to serve for an impressive and simple finish. A portion of this delicious, fruity cake works out at only 265 calories per serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container or cake tin in a cool, dry place in your kitchen. It will last up to 2 days.
- 175g self-raising flour
- 175g soft baking margarine
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1½ med-sized cooking apples, peeled and cubed
- 1 level tsp cinnamon
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 60g sultanas
- Icing sugar, to dust
- 18cm square cake tin or
- 20cm round tin, lined with baking parchment
If you don't have any cooking apples you could always use normal eating apples instead
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Put the flour, margarine and sugar in a bowl. Add the eggs gradually and beat well. Stir in the apple, cinnamon, lemon rind and sultanas.
- Bake in the oven for 40-50 mins, until the cake has risen and feels firm to the touch in the centre, and a skewer comes out clean after being inserted into the cake.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 265(kcal)
- Fat 14.0g
- Saturates 3.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.