Strawberry kisses cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These pretty cupcakes are very simple and quick to make using a classic cup cake recipe, but we have added some freeze-dried strawberries to the mixture for an extra hit of flavour. They are now available in some supermarkets but if you canít find them just add a tablespoon strawberry jam to the cake mixture. Or if you like, take a small circle of cake from the centre of the cooked cupcake and fill with strawberry jam, then place the circle of cake back on top to cover it before icing. It'll be a delicious, gooey surprise for anyone whoe bites in!
- 150g butter, at room temperature
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 150g self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 15g freeze-dried strawberries, crushed
- Buttercream icing:
- 50g butter
- 200g icing sugar
- 5g finely ground freeze-dried strawberries
- Pink food colouring,
- Heart-shaped cake sprinkles
Freeze dried fruits give a real burst of flavour. Once opened you must keep the pack airtight or the fruit becomes soft and sticky. If lyou like they can be crushed to a powder to give flavour and colour to cake mixes and icings.
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/ Gas Mark 4.Place 12 paper cupcake cases in a cupcake tray.
- Mix the butter and sugar in a bowl with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until light and creamy. Gradually beat in the eggs a little at a time, beating well until smooth and soft. If the mixture curdles, beat in a tablespoonful of the flour.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder and vanilla extract until smooth. Add the crushed dried strawberries and lightly stir through.
- Place a heaped dessertspoon full of mixture in each cupcake case and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and just firm to the touch. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the butter cream, place the butter in a bowl with 1-2 tsp boiling water, add the icing sugar and strawberries and beat until smooth. Add the food colouring, a little at a time, and mix to the desired shade of pink. Place the icing in a piping bag with a small star nozzle and pipe on top of the cakes. Alternatively, spread the icing over the cakes and swirl with a round-bladed knife. Decorate with heart-shaped sprinkles.