Lentil and pancetta warm salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Lentils are a fantastic pulse. They offer a great source of fibre and B vitamins and are renowned for their health properties. This hearty recipe offers a great alternative to a traditional cold salad. Lentils absorb flavours so well, especially salty pancetta juices. If you donít fancy egg on the salad try few shavings of fresh parmesan cheese instead.
- 100g lentils
- 130g packet of diced pancetta cubes
- 1 bag of rocket, washed
- 2 fresh tomatoes, quartered
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper
If you canít find pancetta, cut up 4 rashers of bacon into small pieces.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook the lentils for 20mins or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Boil the eggs for 5-6mins then plunge them straight into ice cold water to stop them cooking any further.
- Fry the pancetta pieces in a pan until crispy. Add the lentils to the frying pan and stir to coat everything in the meaty oils. Remove off the heat.
- Toss the rocket through the bacon and lentils and share onto between 2 plates. Peel off the eggs shells and quarter, top the salad with the egg and tomatoes. Season and serve.