Peanut bread and butter pudding
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Yum yum! We have transformed a traditional bread and butter pudding recipe by spreading the bread with peanut butter and adding chocolate chips - this is a real treat. You could also try using chocolate hazelnut spread too if you like. Not a dessert for those watching their calories, but a treat now and then never hurts. Of course, you can make this recipe with just plain bread spread with butter, or use raisin bread instead. Whatever you decide, it will be a real hit with the whole family and will soon be one of your favourite dishes to make as it's as easy to make as it is delicious to eat.
- 1 small French stick, sliced or 10 slices crusty bread
- 6tbsp peanut butter
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 500ml milk
- 100ml double cream
- 5tbsp golden caster sugar
- 100g plain chocolate chips
- A few roasted peanuts
It is best to cook the pudding in a tin with boiling water as this help the custard to set without curdling
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas Mark 4.
- Spread one side of each piece of bread thinly with peanut butter and arrange in a buttered baking dish.
- Beat the eggs, milk, cream and sugar together and pour over the bread. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips.
- Place the dish in a roasting tin and pour enough boiling water from the kettle into the tin to come half way up the sides of the dish.
- Bake for 35-40 mins until golden brown and the custard has set. Serve sprinkled with the peanuts.