Warm mushroom and poached egg salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This is a perfect salad to make when you want a quick yet filling lunch, as the egg and mushroom really add a bit of bulk to the dish. It's tasty enough to make for friends or as a starter if you've got them coming over for dinner, just serve it with warm, buttered, crusty bread and a glass of wine. Add a little diced, fried bacon for some added flavour, or top with crumbled goat’s cheese or flakes of Parmesan. These finishing touches will make it look the part as well as giving it a little something extra in the flavour department.
- 200g chestnut mushrooms sliced
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2tsp wholegrain mustard
- 4 eggs
- 1 bag mixed salad leaves
There’s no need to wash or peel mushrooms, just wipe with a damp cloth to remove any soil, if necessary.
- Bring a shallow pan of water to the boil and crack the eggs into the boiling water. Poach for 3-4 mins until set to your liking..
- Meanwhile heat 2tbsp of the oil in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms for 3-4 mins until tender. Add the vinegar, mustard and remaining oil and stir through.
- Divide the salad between the plates and top with the mushrooms and poached eggs. Serve with crusty bread.