Banana and chocolate cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This banana and chocolate cake is a classic banana loaf recipe that adds dark chocolate chunks to the mix for an even sweeter bake. It takes 1hr and 15 mins to cook and costs hardly anything at all to make. For the banana flavour you need 4 small bananas that are very ripe (brown and soft). These are then peeled and mashed and added to the mix. If you’re not a fan of dark chocolate you could replace the chunks with milk or white chocolate instead for a different spin on the recipe. Leave to cool on a wire wrack and serve with cream or warm with custard.
- 175g plain flour
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- ½ level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ level tsp salt
- 100g packet dark chocolate chunks
- 150g caster sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 4 small, very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1kg loaf tin, buttered and lined with a strip of baking parchment
To make this recipe even easier, use a shaped paper loaf liner. It saves having to measure and cut lining paper by hand.
- Set the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt together, then add the chocolate chunks and mix to coat the chocolate in the flour.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar to the melted butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then the bananas and vanilla extract. Gradually add the flour and chocolate mixture, stirring well.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 1-1¼ hours, or until it feels firm to the touch in the centre and a skewer comes out clean and without any raw cake mixture on it (it may have melted chocolate on it).
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 400(kcal)
- Fat 19.0g
- Saturates 11.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.