Crispy duck pancakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Crispy duck pancakes are normally a takeaway favourite, but here's how to make them easily at home and have them on the table, ready to eat, in just 45 minutes! Crispy duck pancakes make a great do-it-yourself dish, where you can let your guests roll their own pancakes and then they can add as much of the duck, sauce and vegetables as they like. This recipe is so simple and saves money by not buying a takeaway. The duck and pancakes take just 45 mins to prepare and cook in total and make the perfect starter for a Chinese New Year celebration or Saturday night takeaway alternative. At 95 calories per serving, this classic recipe will never get old and is much healthier to make from scratch.
IngredientsFor the marinade:
- 1tbsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1tbsp honey
- 2 duck breasts
- 100g packet of 10 Chinese pancakes
- 5-6tbsp hoisin sauce
- ¼-½ cucumber, cut into strips
- 6-8 spring onions, cut into strips
You could try using pulled pork or chicken instead of duck
- Set the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
- Mix the five-spice powder into the honey and spread it on both sides of the duck breasts.
- Heat a solid-based frying pan and add the duck breasts, skin-side down, and cook for 3-5 mins, pressing them down well until the skin starts to crisp up. Turn the breasts over and cook for another 2-3 mins. Transfer them to a baking tray and cook them in the oven for 15 mins.
- Remove the duck from the oven and shred it, or cut into strips.
- Heat the pancakes as directed on the packet.
- Serve them with a bowl of hoisin sauce to spread on the pancakes, and a bowl filled with the duck and one with cucumber and spring onion, for everyone to make their own pancakes.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 95(kcal)
- Fat 3.0g
- Saturates 1.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.