Black Forest ice cream brownies
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Black Forest ice cream brownies are sweet and delicious. Perfect for enjoying in the garden in the summer time or with a warm cuppa in the winter. They take 12 mins to bake and 15 mins to prepare. This recipe makes about 8 brownies so there’s plenty to share. Cherry ice cream works best so the fruity Black Forest finish, but if you’d like to give it an even chocolatier twist, use chocolate ice cream instead. Top your brownies with broken up pretzels for a salty finish which works really well with the rich chocolate sponge.
- 125g butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½tsp of salt
- 150g plain flour
- 50g cocoa
- 50g pretzels, broken into pieces
- 4tbsps kirsch
- 500ml carton cherry ice cream or frozen yogurt, softened
- 22 x 32cm swiss-roll tin, lined with baking parchment
If you're feeling fancy do a triple layer and cut it into circles with a cookie cutter, so the brownies look more like mini Black Forest gateaux.
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Cream together the butter and sugar, then whisk in the eggs and salt. Add the flour and cocoa and beat the mixture until smooth, then turn it out into the pan and level the surface. Scatter pretzels over the top.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the surface looks just dry.
- Leave the brownie to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sprinkle the kirsch over the brownie, then cut it in half. Spread ice cream over one half, then put the other on top to make a sandwich. Cut into 8 rectangles and serve immediately. (If the ice cream is too soft, return to the freezer to firm up a bit before serving.)
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 470(kcal)
- Fat 23.0g
- Saturates 13.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.