Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
These are delicious crunchy flapjack treats that are perfect for lunchboxes or as an afternoon treat that both adults and kids will love. Sweet dates are sandwiched between an oaty mixture which makes these date squares a little bit special. Serve them as a dessert with ice cream or have them as a mid-morning treat with a warm cuppa. They only take 10 mins to prepare and 30 mins to cook so you’ll be able to enjoy them in no time.
- 300g butter or margarine
- 50g demerara sugar
- 5tbsp golden sugar
- 400g rolled oats
- 50ml water
- 150g chopped dates
These are great for lunchboxes and summer picnics
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 20cm square tin.
- In a saucepan melt the butter. Add the sugar and Golden Syrup and stir until the sugar is dissolved
- Remove from the heat and mix in the rolled oats. Press half the mixture into the base of the tin.
- In another saucepan boil the water and add the dates. Simmer, whilst stirring until the dates and water turn into a paste
- Spread the paste over the mixture in the tin. Cover with the remaining mixture and press down.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until set and golden
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes
- Whilst in the tin, cut into squares, and then allow to cool fully.